Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Happy 2016!

Hello and Happy New Year! It's been a while since I last posted. About two and a half years. A lot has happened in that time.

Two events capture the roller coaster ride of the past few months. Last fall I got a literary agent for FRIGHT ON! Details about that exciting experience appear online in two places: QueryTracker Success Stories and on author Brenda Drake's blog.

In early December my dear little sidekick Pomeranian/American Eskimo mix, Mitzy, passed away. She's the profile picture on my Twitter account and the inspiration for Lion the Pomeranian in FRIGHT ON!

Mitzy
I love that she is immortalized in my book as well as my heart. Mitzy was a puppy mill mama rescued by my older daughter who then gave her to me because she had opened her heart and house to too many (big dog) rescues and Mitzy retreated under a bed. I'd had dogs all my life, mutts and dachshunds as a child, and lots of Yorkies thereafter. Mitzy joined Baxter and Ginger, a Yorkie and a tortoiseshell cat that inspired the characters Bear and Tiger in FRIGHT ON. They passed away several years ago and Mitzy loved being an only pet. She was affectionate and silly and I wanted another dog just like her. After she died I started looking for rescues online and finally found another cute Pom who appeared to have similar characteristics, as well as being mellow and friendly. We adopted five-pound Izzy last Saturday! I'm going to post regularly on our mutual adjustment and growing love. Hope you have fun following along. Pictures of Izzy are coming soon!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting a new member of the family. My husband and I also lost both our dogs this holiday season. They were older and both died from cancer....a big loss. Glad to read you've found new life to add to the household. Our search is in the early stage but I know will follow yours; after all, if your a dog person, how can it not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Sorry to hear about your dogs. It is very difficult to lose a best friend. Two even harder. Mitzy had defied death so many times. She had autoimmune anemia and had brushes with death before so I was hoping she'd bounce back from kidney disease too. She was like a cat with nine lives. But she did last longer than the vet predicted. She was nearly 15. I loved all her mannerisms--I wanted a clone. Looking online at rescues was both hopeful and depressing. So many dogs looking for a furever home, so many with sad histories. As soon as I read Izzy's profile I knew I found the one. Plus, she's cute as a button. Good luck on your search! The love of a dog can't be beat.

    ReplyDelete